[OM] Re: scanning print negatives and scanner exposure inconsis

Subject: [OM] Re: scanning print negatives and scanner exposure inconsistencies
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 12:40:09 -0700
jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>I guessed this which is why I hunted for the icc profiles.

The profile alone won't do it. The Adobe Gamma program should have come
with your PS Elements. It is a quick way to get your monitor 'in the
ballpark'. Norman Koren has some excellent information and possibly the
best images for setting up monitors short of dedicated hardware/software
combos (which he also discusses) here.
<http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html#gammachart>  He
presents an amazing and initially overwhelming abundance of useful info
on the whole scan-view-adjust-print issue.

Moose

>photoshop elements version 2 - came free with the scanner. But it can't
>handle 48 bit colour which is how I am scanning. :-(

I have PS7 and can handle 48 bit images. What I have found to be true
for me is that 48 bit doesn't really add anything if I adjust the scan
to a good histogram and reasonable color balance at the preview stage
before scanning.  After experimenting with this issue, I concluded that
24 bits is enough to capture all the color/tonal nuance that I can
distinguish on my monitor and prints. The problem with 24 bit comes when
the white and black points aren't set right in the scan. Then data from
the top and/or bottom of the luminance ranges are thrown away in the
editor (yup, that's what the Auto functions and Manual adjustment of the
histogram in the editor do.), forcing interpolation of less than 24 bits
of data up to 24 bits. Then you can start to get noticeably less correct
results. Using 48 bits gets around this problem by providing more
luminance data at the cost of larger files (and, in your case, the need
for different editing software.).  If you set Viewscan to 48 bit in the
Device menu, set it to 24 bit in the Files menu, and adjust the white
and black points, you are making those luminance adjustments at the 48
bit level before saving to the output file. So, rather than
interpolating up from too little data to balance the histogram, Viewscan
is downsampling from more data than needed, which will be done somewhere
along the way to your 24 bit printer anyway. I don't know about the
Dimage IV, but my Canoscan only actually scans in hardware at 14 bits
per color, so part of the data in a 48 bit (16 bits per color) scan is
just useless filler. As you are now setting up your histogram before
scanning, I think you will find 24 bit to be quite adequate.

Moose