[OM] Re: Anomalies in E-1/OM Images

Subject: [OM] Re: Anomalies in E-1/OM Images
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 11:59:35 -0700

On May 10, 2004, at 10:42 AM, Cyrtolite@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Thank you Carlos, Andrew, and Winsor.  I think I get it.
>
> Though I'm not thrilled to have dust on my sensor after only having
> the E-1 for about a month and a half, at least I know the cause of the
> spots.

If you need some cleaning information I have found these to be very
helpful:

http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm
http://www.pbase.com/image/15473243

They are Nikon centric sites but the E-1 would be the same except that
you might need a smaller swab. Just make sure you can securely lock the
mirror out of the way. I was able to make a tool from a plastic knife
with an exacto saw and an emery board, and a ped pad wrapped around it
per the Thom Hogan site. It is cheaper and works better than the Sensor
Swabs from Kodak.

People extend the cleaning period by changing lenses with the body
opening facing downward. Also a blow with either a hand blower or CO2
cartridge(the kind with no propellant or lubricant) blower helps to
delay doing the wet stuff. A month and a half is not bad and you can
console yourself that it is a side effect of having a nice sharp image
sensor. Cameras with thicker, more diffusing filters on top of the
sensor don't show the dust as much because it is out of focus more.

Winsor
Long Beach, California
USA