[OM] Re: Anomalies in E-1/OM Images

Subject: [OM] Re: Anomalies in E-1/OM Images
From: Cyrtolite@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 07:20:39 -0400
Thank you all for your replies to my post.

Some suggested that the anomalies are caused by something in the lens. I can't
see how that could be the case.  As I pointed out in my original message, the
locations of the spots are identical regardless of the rotation of the camera
relative to the lens.  It seems to me that this could not be the case if the
spots were caused by dirt, dust or imperfections in the lens.

Some insist that they are caused by dirt or dust on the sensor.  If that is the
case, then why are they not present in images taken with the 14-54 or 50mm
Zuiko Digital or with the OM Zuiko 65-200?  I just examined more images and,
even if I crank up the contrast and sharpness, I can see no sign of the spots
in any of the E-1 images taken with optics other than the bellows and OM Zuiko
20mm macro lens.

I examined the 25mm extension tube and I did find some very fine fibers
attached to the mount, perhaps from a sweater I was been wearing when I mounted
it at some point.  Who knows how long the fibers had been there.  They were
extremely fine and very hard to see (at least with my aging eyes). I removed
these fibers and this does not seem to have made a difference. The spots are
still appearing in the same locations. This really surprises me.  I am going to
examine the extension tube again.

Thank you all again for your contributions to this thread.

Scott Whittemore