[OM] Re: Event photography with digital vs film

Subject: [OM] Re: Event photography with digital vs film
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 23:57:38 -0700

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 00:56:55 -0500
>From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Re:

John,
Welcome back to the list...

>I'm climbing in on this a little late . . .
>
>Good grief, 300 frames in 1.5 hours is a burn rate of 200 frames per hour .
>. . a little over 3 per minute and about one frame every every 18
>seconds.  I've *never* exceeded half that over a longer period and might
>have hit as high as 120 fph for a short duration (20-30 minutes).  Must
>have been one heck of a convention event that could create a burn rate that
>high.  There was also a considerable amount of back end work.
><SNIP>
>
>Last but not least, I'm left wondering with such an exceptionally high burn
>rate if it was a function of using digital verus film and what your yield
>from that stint of 300 frames was.  You're the only one who knows the
>answer to that.  It's just hard for me to imagine anything demanding that
>high a burn rate over that long a time period.

Hmmm....you've likely never shot 200 Go-Kart racers on a tight track,
I can tell....it's easy to shoot 300 frames in 1.5 hours in that kind
of event photography where you need to get at least one photo of
everyone. Just think what that would cost you in film and processing!
Yikes.  With a Canon 1D and a 70-200/2.8, my ratio of keepers is over
80%, usually. With the new Canon Mark II, it would be even higher
(yes, I shot with one recently).
-Stephen.

--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!