[OM] Re: A Weighty Problem

Subject: [OM] Re: A Weighty Problem
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 23:49:57 -0700

>From: "John Wheeler" <wheelej@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] (OT)
>Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 14:29:19 +1000
>

>G'day Zuiks,
>
>I've just had a digital experience. While babysitting our daughter's six
>year old twins the other night while Mum, Dad, and their house guest were
>out the latter, on leaving said, "Have a play with my 10D and see what you
>think of the new lens".
>
>He'd just added a 100-400 USM (with Image Stabliser) lens plus the extra
>battery grip to the 10D.
>
>Now, I've always guessed the weight of anything in comparison to that of the
>Lee Enfield .303 service rifle I carried through the six months of National
>Service in the early fifties. It was from memory about eleven pounds. This
>camera/lens/grip combination was considerably heavier! And he will be
>shooting handheld at motorcycle races! I've seen some of his work and it's
>very good but I reckon he'll need some physio-therapy after a day's
>shooting.
>
>But the strangest thing about this was that earlier in the day he'd hefted
>my OM-2 with 50/1.4 attached and exclaimed, "My, it's heavy, isn't it!".
>
>John,
>Sydny, Oz.

Now wait a cottin-pickin' minute....I have a Canon D60 with battery
grip *and* a 100-400 IS L  lens, and i can assure you it is NOT even
close to 11 pounds or the weight of a Lee Enfield .303. It weighs
less than half that, more like five pounds.
It's perfect for shooting handheld at the motorcycle races...I do it
all the time. The nice thing about that lens is that it is very
versatile.

-Stephen.

>From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Re: (OT) A Weighty Problem
>Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 15:13:08 +1000
>
>>  John Wheeler [mailto:wheelej@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
>>  He'd just added a 100-400 USM (with Image Stabliser) lens
>>  plus the extra battery grip to the 10D.
>>
>>  Now, I've always guessed the weight of anything in comparison
>>  to that of the Lee Enfield .303 service rifle I carried
>>  through the six months of National Service in the early fifties.
>  > It was from memory about eleven pounds. This camera/lens/grip
>>  combination was considerably heavier!
>
>The 10D body weighs 790g (1.74lbs). The BG-ED3 grip with two
>batteries adds 380g (0.84lbs) to the weight of the body. The
>100-400USM IS L lens weighs 1360g (3lbs). The total combined
>weight is therefor 2530 grams (5.58lbs). Still hefty, but
>not 11 pounds. However, according to this site:

Oops, I just read this...I think Marc is right on here with the
weight...that seems about right to me. Marc, how are you getting on
with your 10D since you wrote me?

-Stephen.

--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!