[OM] Re: cleaning lens glass

Subject: [OM] Re: cleaning lens glass
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 10:04:35 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 7 May 2004, Chuck Norcutt wrote:

> If a lens needs serious cleaning, after blowing off any dust and debris,
> I use alcohol or Windex.  If a lens had really stubborn grease or oil on
> it I'd probably start with Ronsonol lighter fluid (pure naptha).

A slight point of clarification.  I've heard many people refer to Ronsonol
as pure naptha, it isn't, at least not in Canada.  The label on my bottle
of Ronsonol clearly states that it also contains heptane, a very strong
solvent (organic?).  Heptane on its own works very well as a solvent and
degraser, but it is difficult to purchase at the consumer level.  I wonder
how much of the usefulness of Ronsonol can be attributed to heptane rather
than naptha.
                                -mark