[OM] Re: cleaning lens glass

Subject: [OM] Re: cleaning lens glass
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 07:22:38 -0400
If a lens needs serious cleaning, after blowing off any dust and debris,
I use alcohol or Windex.  If a lens had really stubborn grease or oil on
it I'd probably start with Ronsonol lighter fluid (pure naptha).

As a tool I use a strip of facial tissue or soft paper towel about 60mm
wide and roll into a tight cylinder about 5-6mm diameter.  I then pull
this cylinder apart at the center which leaves fluffy ends at the break
and makes two soft "brushes".  Dampen the ends of the brushes with
chosen cleaning fluid.  Make sure the brushes are only damp.  You do not
want liquid running underneath the retaining rings for the glass.

If, after cleaning several times, a thin iridescent film persists on the
lens I use a dry version of the tissue brush.  A light polishing action
with the dry brush will remove the film.

Chuck Norcutt