[OM] Re: E-1, E-1, E-1! Who's next?

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1, E-1, E-1! Who's next?
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 18:58:32 -0300

> On May 6, 2004, at 1:54 PM, Wayne Culberson wrote:
>
> > Yes, and my Olympus Epic 2.8 has likely depreciated almost 100%. Who
> > really
> > cares about percentages though when the initial cost was less than
> > $100?
> > It's not percentages, but total cost, that becomes so significant with
> > the
> > depreciation of a camera like the E-1.
> > Wayne
>
> The last new price I saw at B&H for an OM4Ti was $1099 which is right
> up there in digital territory. So what is the going price used?  You
> could make the same argument against a film slr by comparing it to a
> cheap(but good), disposable plastic camera. They are hardly the same
> thing though.
>

> Winsor
> Long Beach, California
> USA

Yes, your comparison is more valid if you had bought an OM4ti new, which I
didn't. I don't even have a used one, as the OM2s is so much cheaper for me.
BHphoto presently lists the E-1 with the basic zoom at about $2000. To bring
that into Canada, for me, would cost more just in sales taxes than any of my
OM's have cost me. So that is an immediate loss for me of about $350 US
funds (just tax and shipping costs) that cannot be recovered. Then if the
camera depreciates even 60% in the next 2 years, that is another $1200 US
funds, for a total of over $1500US funds for me. That is quite a chunk of
change for a hobbiest like me. For a professional, that is perhaps not
significant. Even had I bought the OM4ti new for $1100, plus a basic zoom
like the 35-70, and sold it now, the total cost would be lot less than that,
perhaps more like $500 to $700 US funds, which is closer to the less than
$100 cost for my Olympus Epic in total dollar cost, and more bearable for
me. Of course we are talking only camera costs here. If you're shooting the
equivalent of thousands of rolls, things look different because of film
costs.
Anyways, the bottom line is the E-1 is just too expensive for me to justify,
as I can get equivalent end results for a lot less dollars, for the amount I
shoot.
Wayne