[OM] Re: OM-4

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-4
From: "Wilcox, Joel F" <joel-wilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 11:34:28 -0500
The OM-2S was all I ever needed in a camera until I contemplated a trip
to the slot canyons of the Colorado plateau.  With slow slide film I was
contemplating shots well over 30 seconds, sometimes three times that.
And I figured I'd need a spot meter (which I did).  I bought my first
OM-4T for one thing only:  to hold a single spot reading in memory using
auto mode.  Now that is really, truly useful.  I have loved the OM-4(x)
ever since.

I took pains to learn to use multi-spot but don't use it very much.  I
haven't found it to be more accurate than the straight CW meter reading
OTF in most common situations.  I had thought it might give me such
accuracy that I would no longer have to bracket with slide film.  It's
useful in tricky, back- or side-lighting, but with slides I think one
needs to bracket, which I do whether using CW or multi readings, and
with prints it probably doesn't matter.  Multi-spot yada yada yada is
overkill with modern color print film IMHO (not that I don't still use
it -- I definitely use it with BW).

I've never used the shadow button, but I have used hi-lite.  If you live
where there is snow, you might find a use for it.  Warren Kato once
posted that he put his OM-2S at +2 exp comp and shot using spot readings
on highlights.  That's how to imitate the hilite behavior using an
OM-2S.  Never tried that though.

Joel W.