[OM] Eyeglasses, Sunglasses & viewfinder questions

Subject: [OM] Eyeglasses, Sunglasses & viewfinder questions
From: Philippe Le Zuikomane <zuikomane@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 12:11:40 -0500
For those of you who have contended with such issues before:

1/  If you were to take up casual photography but wore thickish gradual bifocal
eyeglasses also correcting for astigmatism and myopia, would you consider the
viewfinders on many SLRs a lost cause?

Would you look for a high-point VF like the Nikon F3 design rather than an Oly?

Would you just look for a good digicam with a bright, sharp LDC on its back?

Would you go for cameras that allow you to focus on ground glass, without
having to peer at it by way of mirrors?

Would you just keep buying those Ansel Adams catalogs and let that other
goofball in the family make a fool of himself fumbling beautiful Olys?

2/  Also wondering about best approach to correction for very slight
short-sightedness (.25 correction; the other eye is long-sighted, .75
correction) plus protection from stray light getting into finder and affecting
top cells with OM-1n and OM-2n -- Oly eyecups?

Other, more makeshift solutions (I did get a soft-brimmed Tilley hat after
struggling with a baseball cap)? My glasses tend to sit too far down my nose
whilst my eyes don't have deep sockets. (No punning, Gord!) (Did someone say
'contacts'?) (Huh?)

3/  Has anyone tried those unusual sunglasses that part over the bridge of your
nose so you can scoot them down and wear them round your neck? I find dealing
with tinted glasses on sunny days while trying to take (bad) pictures very
awkward, yet I do need to protect my eyes from all the UVs.

(If addressed before on the list, I'll dig through the archives -- thanks for
any insights or pointers!)

{Phil}