[OM] Re: (OT) Hand held meters

Subject: [OM] Re: (OT) Hand held meters
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 12:03:45 -0700
At 12:09 PM 4/8/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>The Sekonic multi-meters are marvels of functionality.  I'd get one if I
>didn't already have a Gossen Luna-Star F2 and an old Minolta Spotmeter
>M.  The Luna-Star F2 was recently mentiond in an article as the most
>accurate of the high-end meters avaiable, but the difference between the
>high-end models of Sekonic, Quantum, Gossen, and Minolta is mostly a
>matter of features.

I agree re feature sets and ergonomics between different
manufacturers--pick what suits you best and most comfortably.

The Gossen Luna-Star F2 sports the same specs for ambient measuring range
as does the StarLite, though somewhat less for flash. The latter is
Gossen's best unit, with spot metering thrown in along with a wider range
of cine speeds than the Luna-Star F2. It's perhaps the best packaged meter
available, though it costs a small fortune and I doubt that for most
ambient readings in the field it rewards the photographer with better
practical results than the classic Luna-Pro analog I carried for
years--until someone ripped it off.

I've never used Sekonic equipment, or for that matter Minolta, but both
have great reputations. All of the top-drawer stuff is ridiculously
expensive, of course. If I had half a brain I'd probably just trudge out
there naked, squint at the sun, wet my thumb and start clicking.

Tris