[OM] Re: Flash mode setting, was Power Grip 2 - Flash Attachments

Subject: [OM] Re: Flash mode setting, was Power Grip 2 - Flash Attachments
From: Duncan Paterson <paterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 10:52:05 +0200
Is it really necessary to reverse the calculator panel on the T-flashes in
order to work in TTL-auto mode with a OM-4? The instruction manual doesn't
specifically say that it's necessary, instead saying only that:

"To take pictures with T-series flash T32 (T45) on OM-4, simply turn on the
flash switch. The camera takes care of all other operations such as film
speed setting, aperture setting, flash mode setting and exposure
compensation." - OM-4 Manual B, p. 30.

This would make sense since in TTL-auto mode the camera controls both the
shutter and the flash and so it shouldn't need any additional settings to
be made on the flash itself. In manual and normal-auto modes the camera
only delivers the X-sync signal when tripping the shutter and the flash
does the rest in accordance with the position of the calculator panel
slider; hence the camera mode should be set to manual in these cases. I
guess the situation may be different for a OM-2

I find it helpful to have the calculator panel on display even when
shooting in TTL-auto mode just to give me a reminder of the maximum and
minimum flash to subject distances.

Cheers and Happy Easter to all,
Duncan.