[OM] Re: Why E1 over others?

Subject: [OM] Re: Why E1 over others?
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2004 12:00:17 -0700

>If I really need to work fast I can use the dedicated lens with auto stop
>down, for snap I will use my Zuiko 18 with preset focus, for portrait I just
>focus at the shooting aperture, they are usually F2 to F4, no problem at
>all. If I can work slowly, stop down is perfectly fine. I have some
>landscape friends who take every shot with tripod, obviously manual stop
>down is not a problem for them too. My shooting result proof it works:
>
>http://www.accura.com.hk/Zuiko/Flower.htm
>
>To see some more:
>
>http://www.accura.com.hk/OM/DC.htm
>
>If you all are talking about convenient, AF, IS... you should jump ship long
>ago, C*non has IS since 95 and AF was at the end of 80's why wait until
>today? Why stick with the manual focus OM system?

Because they want something new . . . and more convenient.

>You all talked about how the small, light and solid feel of OM bodies why
>you now perfer the plastic body that feel like a toy!? I choose 10D because
>it feel sold and not too heavy. I really perfer the E-System, it possess the
>characters of the OM System, ok... except the tiny viewfinder. Now I'm just
>waiting for the right time to jump in.

One of these days I might wake up to find a digital system that compels me
to buy and which I can also afford. That hasn't happened yet, though the
Canon MkII threatened (for a minute or two) to turn the "compel" trick. I
imagine the next Canon will be more seductive still--not sure when pricing
will fall in line.

Basically, I view digital (for anyone but a working pro on strict deadline)
as just one more toy to play around with. It has little (if anything) to do
with photography, per se, somewhat less than the hybrid photography (really
more like "image display") most of us on this list engage in now (taking
analog to digital through the web). I have listened to and I think I have
understood the apologists for digital who argue that this shift from analog
to digital is no more of a corruption of the "photographic process" than
was the shift from glass plates to film, and while at a certain level there
is some truth in that I'll never buy it outright.

The irony is that more good pictures are available for casual view today
than ever before, and in ten years we'll multiply that by a million. The
shame is that many of the "photographers" have no real understanding of how
they managed to achieve these otherwise good things. They lack fundamental
appreciation for their art accomplishments because it all came shy of pain.

Beauty outside life, feeling divorced of empathy, wisdom absent thought.
What will come next?

Tris