[OM] Re: Processor advice for handling OM images

Subject: [OM] Re: Processor advice for handling OM images
From: "Scott Gomez" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 08:30:20 -0700
PS has had multiprocessor support since at least version 4 on the PC.
It's one of the reasons why I've been running NT or 2K multiprocessor
for some time, instead of the Win95/98/ME sequence. Used to be one had
to enable it by installing a patch file, but since ver. 5 it has
auto-detected the presence of multiple processors.

Re uniprocessor machines and memory: One of Adobe's technical notes on
Photoshop used to mention a rule of thumb that I found really helped:
ensure that you have enough RAM for at least 3 copies of the image to be
completely RAM-resident simultaneously, *after* one has accounted for
RAM used by the O/S and any other running applications. Apparently the
3x requirement has to do with the way in which PS performs many
operations.

---
Scott Gomez