[OM] Re: external ambient/flash/reflected Lightmeters

Subject: [OM] Re: external ambient/flash/reflected Lightmeters
From: fred42@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 09:01:48 -0500
Hey,

Here is my understanding of the T32.

There are three modes it works in.

TTL Auto
This is where the camera uses its internal sensor to work out if the flash has
output enough for a correct exposure. This is done TTL so should result in a
more accurate exposure than the next method as it actively takes into account
the aperture you are using.

Auto
This uses the flashes onboard sensor to confirm that the flash has output the
correct amount of light. Usually this is in conjunction with the calculator
panel that gives you a working distance range. This range also tells you what
aperture to use. The T32 has three levels of output selectable on the back
panel offering you some degree of flexibility in the DOF you are working with
and/or the range you can work at. The sensor collects reflected light from your
subject and adjusts power output in accordance.

Manual
The T32 has two fixed level output options that don't take into account the
subject.

The LED in the viewfinder offers feedback from the flash that it is ready to
fire (charged) and if the exposure was sufficient.

The Shutter Speed for the OM line should be 1/60 or below. When the T series is
used with certain bodies the body sense the presence of the flash and
automatically adjusts for it. I seem to recall the recent discussion was
regards Fill In flash which is a whole other beast.

I hope this helps you out.

Dan S.