[OM] Re: OM-3Ti gone

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-3Ti gone
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 19:50:11 -0800
on 3/18/04 4:56 AM, ClassicVW@xxxxxxx at ClassicVW@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I've bought a couple of Olympus USA items recently on ebay, even a cheap
> digital (reconditioned) and in the distant past I also bought a couple of
> Olympus
> reconditioned items thru a dealer and all are as new, and I've never had a bit
> of trouble with one of their reconditioned items. I've also bought a couple
> of Nikon reconditioned bodiers, and they're still perfect almost 20 years
> later. You'll never get an answer from Olympus or Nikon as to what exactly was
> done
> to each body. The person doing the selling probably doesn't even know. No
> need to have camcelled your bid.
>
> George S.

Sometimes reconditioned items means were used as a store display items, then
brought back and checked over (probably needing no actual repairs) and then
repackaged with new packaging materials, manuals, neckstrap, etc. This could
also be cameras that were used to take pictures for catalogs or
advertisements, items loaned out for reviews, items used internally in the
company for some reason...

There is some requirement I think (FTC maybe) where only a 'new, never ever
ever used' item can be sold as "New". Otherwise the company risks being
charged with consumer fraud, so most companies are cautious and call all
these very lightly used or even no actual use items "reconditioned" or
"refurbished".

On the other hand, it could have been a defective item, returned, repaired,
and then repacked. If so, if they do the repair right, and you buy it, its
exactly the same as if you had bought it new from a store, discovered it was
defective, and returned it for the warranty repair... except you are spared
all that hassle. I sometimes think a 'refurbished' item is -safer- to buy
than a 'retailer new' item, because you *know* that someone has (you hope)
actually verified that it is working...
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...