[OM] Re: Why go digital??

Subject: [OM] Re: Why go digital??
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 08:40:23 -0500
No, you don't have to carry a laptop.  Just have one of those "digital wallets"
that lets you suck the pictures off the card and onto a 20 or 40 gig hard
drive.  Nikon just introduced one called the Coolwalker that has a 30gig drive
and an LCD.  I'll be in the same basic situation as if I took film, except that
I can review critical shots if I want to on the camera.  You can't do THAT on a
film camera.

Oh, and with the E-1, if I carry the right cable, I can connect the camera to a
TV and run a slideshow directly there, without having to have a Laptop.

So I could carry the E-1 camera + lenses, two LI batteries, charger (very
light), two 1gig cards, and the digital wallet plus it's power supply.  That
isn't any more than 20-30 rolls of film, and maybe less.  I also don't have to
worry about xrays, etc. at the airport.

IOW, I'm not sure that the "travelling light" argument is entirely valid.

Skip