[OM] Re: Dust...

Subject: [OM] Re: Dust...
From: Joel Wilcox <joel-wilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 08:47:52 -0600
At 10:46 PM 3/14/2004 -0800, Donald you wrote in part:

> > Anyone using a compressor to blow air off their (OM-sourced) slides and
> > negs?
> >
> > I am considering a move to air tools for some other applications, and
> > wonder what the parameters are, in terms of noise, output pressure and so
> > on.
>

>I don't know if you really need a compressor to do this... perhaps one of
>those rubber squeeze bulbs would be sufficient. I sometimes do this with the
>'canned air' sold for computer dust removal, but that could get costly if
>you use a lot as its about $3 per can. If you use a compressor, watch out
>for oil and moisture in the compressed air, you will need a moisture trap
>and I'd look for an 'oilless' compressor. Also, I don't suppose you need
>more than about 10psi for this, so you'll want a regulator you can turn down
>a lot lower than the air tools setting.
>--
>
>Jim Brokaw
>OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...

Agree with Jim, though I like canned air and find it to be reasonably
economical for the good it does. For pernicious dust that sticks even after
a good blow with the canned air, I have had good experience lightly going
over the surfaces of the film with a camel hair brush and then blowing
again.  I think using a compressor might be going at the problem with too
big a hammer.

Joel W.