[OM] Re: Hoya circ pol delamination

Subject: [OM] Re: Hoya circ pol delamination
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 18:46:32 -0800
on 3/13/04 6:05 PM, Andrew Gullen at andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I think most filters are gelatin, acrylic or something sandwiched between
> glass. Most organic dyes wouldn't survive being melted into glass.
>
> Andrew
>
>> Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:24:28 -0800
>> From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> A c-pol or a combo c-pol/81a are probably the only filters any of us
>> have that have any layers to come apart. The rest are just one piece of
>> glass.

I think most modern solid color filters are actually made from colored
glass. However, due to the nature of polarized material I think it -has- to
be a polymer e.g. plastic of some sort, so they almost have to be sandwich
construction. As such, I've seen a lot of 30-50 year old polarizers that are
delaminated. I'd even like to find a source of polarized circle blanks,
optical grade, to rebuild some odd sizes like 40.5mm, 43mm, etc.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...