[OM] Re: MD2 w Control Pack 2 and charger

Subject: [OM] Re: MD2 w Control Pack 2 and charger
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 09:04:59 -0800
Not sure if I understand your problem correctly re the motorcycles and
panning with the shot around a curve, Jim. The implication of the
specifications for the MD2 is that fps increases with shutter speed, up to
5 fps at 1/500, so even if your fps was down to around 3 fps I'd guess your
actual shutter speed would need to be 1/250 or greater, which would seem
adequate for handheld panning of the action at that scene. If you were
working off a tripod with the lens aimed at a certain point on the track
then I could see a few missed frames, but assuming a film consumption rate
of 4 or 5 fps and further assuming the drive was in operation before the
bikes entered the focus zone I'd expect a fairly high capture rate of
useable images. If there wasn't enough light to use a faster shutter speed
then there's no telling what your fps might have been, though I'd guess 2
fps, anyway.

I wouldn't dream of shooting that sort of action on a tripod but choose my
film according to the light available and work out of hand--even in
relatively poorly lit arenas Fujipress 1600 @ f/4 or f/5 the shooter ought
to achieve a manageable shutter speed for panning with the action, which
itself ought to guarantee that the vast majority of frames be "useable" (in
the sense that the bikes were captured completely in frame--there might be
other reasons why one frame or another were not a keeper) even had the fps
dropped down to 2 fps (which is about the speed, actually a bit faster, I
had to work with using my original Winder on an OM-1 MD).

Have I misunderstood your description of this action?