[OM] Re: The Loudspeaker OT

Subject: [OM] Re: The Loudspeaker OT
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 12:52:26 -0800
ll.clark@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
>

>>The ARs never really pleased me. Something about them tired me with long
>>listening. Not awful, just not something I would pick, and certainly not
>>today.
>>

>It might have been the rolled-off extreme high end, designed to imitate
>the acoustic signature of Boston's Symphony Hall. Ed Villchur was keen on
>that sound.

Another thing I suspect and about which I knew nothing at the time is
diffraction/coherence effects. I know some folks here know much more
about the tech details than I have retainsed. I do remember that we did
sell quite a few rather small speakers (don't remember brand) not just
because we had a huge local student population, but also because there
was just something likeable about listening to them inspite of their flaws.

When I did a lot of listening to and reading about speakers a few years
ago, I came to the conclusion that really detailed spacial imaging
required great attention to the relationship/interaction of the
transducers with their immediate surroundings and each other. The ARs,
like every speaker at the time, just had the drivers stuck in a board.
All 3 of my most recent speaker purchases have been minimotors for this
very reason. There are indeed large speakers that perform well in this
respect, but they are too expensive for my taste and/or require
listening room conditions I don't have.  The B&W 805s, with their
separate tweeter, very carefully designed front panel and lack of any
other flat surfaces, are outstanding in every respect important to me
except deepest bass. The subwoofers take care of that.

Moose