[OM] Re: [OT] Mexican Food in SE New Mexico, was (Re: Santa Fe)

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Mexican Food in SE New Mexico, was (Re: Santa Fe)
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 08:14:59 -0700
At 11:12 PM 07/03/2004, Carlos Martinez wrote:

"The Cardiel family.
Very nice people, old friends of the family.
Very good food also.
Have you tried Margo's ?? also very good though not as authentic
as far as I know they are not actually from Mexico."

Tried it.  It was "fine," though not particularly interesting.  The
portions were huge -- I would've recommended it to kids hitch-hiking
through who wanted a cheap, filling place to eat "Mexican-style."

"There is now a new place in Tularosa called Tierra de suenos,
Food is very good, a biit higher in price though not too expensive.
the ambiance and decor are more to my liking. lots of old wood."

Tried it, too.  Yes, the ambience was nice, but the food was
uninspiring.  "No soul" was how one of my buddies put it to me -- in his
lexicon, that's a huge insult.  We've got better "Mexican" restaurants here
in Edmonton, Alberta, with more menu variety as well.  Maximino's was the
stand-out offering for south-of-the-border fare in Alamogordo, in my
opinion.  But the best I had by far still had to be Old Mexico Grill in
Santa Fe.  (It's gone now, I'm told.  Can't imagine why -- when we were
there, the place was packed every night.  Mebbe the owners just got burned
out from being *too* popular...).

"When were you here? Vacation? Did you enjoy your stay?"

November 2002.  We used Alamogordo as a "base of operations" to see the
sights in the southeast corner of New Mexico.  And yes, we enjoyed our stay
very much, though we didn't actually spend a lot of time *in* Alamogordo
itself.  Kept doing daytrips to all the surroundings (the furthest one
being to Carlsbad to see the caverns, which were awe-inspiring).  And
though we never stopped there, I also thought Cloudcroft was a neat little
town -- at that time of year, it was experiencing weather similar to
Edmonton (sunny days, light amounts of snow on the ground, a crisp "snap"
in the air), which made me feel at home.

I hope to get back to NM someday, but I'm already in my mid-40s, and
there's a lot of world left to see...

Garth