[OM] Re: olympus Digest V1 #54

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus Digest V1 #54
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 21:15:48 -0800

>Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 11:56:09 -0500
>From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Re: OM to E1 adaptor
>
>Note that the full frame Canon EOS-1Ds only has a raw image size of 9-10
>MB.  It 11 megapixel image is certainly competitive with medium format.
>   Since a raw format image of 17MB would likely exceed the image quality
>of all medium format film images does this mean that they will not
>accept 35mm film anymore as well?  Something doesn't jive.
>
>Chuck Norcutt

No, I don't think the raw image size of 9-10 MB from a 1Ds is
correct, Chuck; which must be what you're finding that doesn't jive.
The RAW image size from a 1Ds must be almost twice as large, because
my D60 produces RAW images 8.86 megabytes in size straight from the
camera. This would be in agreement as to why I get 33 images shooting
RAW on a 256 megabyte CF card. I would estimate that a 1Ds produces
RAW images of approx. 16.24 megabytes straight from the camera; when
converted to TIFF these would be approximately 33 megabytes in size.
This would be consistent with 1Ds images having higher image quality
of 35 mm film, and comparable to medium format film.

-Stephen.
--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!