[OM] Re: olympus Digest V1 #54

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus Digest V1 #54
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 21:05:58 -0800
>Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 11:56:09 -0500
>From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Re: OM to E1 adaptor
>
>Note that the full frame Canon EOS-1Ds only has a raw image size of 9-10
>MB.  It 11 megapixel image is certainly competitive with medium format.
>   Since a raw format image of 17MB would likely exceed the image quality
>of all medium format film images does this mean that they will not
>accept 35mm film anymore as well?  Something doesn't jive.
>
>Chuck Norcutt

I am presuming that the stock agency is referring to the image size
when converted to TIFF from RAW?  There is a difference in the actual
RAW (which is a lossless compression algorithm) file size and when,
for example, the file is opened in Photoshop. A RAW shot from my 6
megapixel D60 is 8.86 megabytes; converted to TIFF and opened in
Photoshop it becomes 18.0 megabytes. Just squeaks by. This is what
the stock agency is referring to, I gather?  It seems their
requirements mandate a 6 megapixel or larger camera.

So, while the E-1 is still a very nice camera, IMHO, it basically is
two years too late to market.

-Stephen.

--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!