[OM] Re: OM to E1 adaptor

Subject: [OM] Re: OM to E1 adaptor
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 20:38:19 -0800

>Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 08:34:55 -0800
>From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Re: OM to E1 adaptor
>

>Exactly, David, and thanks, for you just saved me from typing some godawful
>screed about my preference for photorealistic images over . . .
>well, whatever.
>
>This argument of taste in image "quality" is not much different than the
>preference for the sound one hears out of speaker systems. Every sound we
>hear is distorted to one extent or another, of course, but my preference
>(and thus ultimate speaker choice years ago) was for a sound as "uncolored"
>as I could find, and so, based on a review back in the 70s in _The Absolute
>Sound_ I eventually purchased a couple of Advents. (If I hadn't been a
>relatively poor student I'd have bought four and stacked them. Not that
>anyone needs to know that, necessarily, but I just wanted you to know. <g>)
<SNIP>
Tris, I think if we ever met, we'd really get along. I had a pair of
Advents in the late 70's and early 80's, too. A Henry Kloss design
classic, they were reknown for their neutrality. And I bought mine as
a result of that same review in The Absolute Sound! Man, that takes
me back. I had the best sounding pair of Large Advents in Davis, CA
with a H-K Citation 12 Power Amp, a Dyna PAT-5 preamp that I modified
from an article by Walter Jung of The Audio Amateur, being driven by
a Rega Planar 3 turntable (which I still have!), a SMEIII tone arm
and a Grace Ruby cartridge, all connected with Fulton Gold Speaker
cables. (Remember those Advents ads? "The Large Advent", "The Small
Advent" and "The Smaller Advent"?)
Talk about neutral. That was a nice set-up. Nowadays, I use Cambridge
Soundworks speakers designed by Henry Kloss. Still like that neutral
"Boston" sound.

>Which is, I guess, my tiresome way of explaining why I don't choose to
>shoot a helluva lot of Velvia but do have a hankering to work with Provia
>100F. If I ever want or need to add some kind of "pop" to a color image I
>figure I can just as well (or almost just as well) accomplish this in
>software _after_ the fact.

<SNIP>

Me, too. I like Provia for the very same reason. It's like a
reference standard for film <grin>.
This is in fact what has me so excited about the 1D Mark II.
Neutrality and naturalness of color.

-Stephen.

--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!