[OM] Re: OM to E1 adaptor

Subject: [OM] Re: OM to E1 adaptor
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 00:34:39 -0800
I think the Bose Acoustimass stuff might be better still for that work. My
brother has the works and it's an earful. Most tellingly, though, it sounds
best of all when played at normal listening levels.

I look at the 901s as an all-purpose party sort of speaker, especially good
for high-volume rock 'n' roll in noisy crowded spaces. A pair will put out
prodigious volumes of sound, four with the power to drive them right and
proper would scare a rock.

They're not for everyone or every kind of music, but they're very very good
for what they are, and they do what they do as ably (probably better) as
anything else around. (Well, used to, at least. I don't think I've listened
to the VIs, and I notice the price hasn't gone up much since the last time
I looked, so maybe the quality's going down. Who knows.) There are speakers
that sound best with chamber music, other systems reproduce horns extremely
well, while some need to be placed just so in this or that environment, and
so on. Bose 901s do (did) all of this work more than decently, with no anal
tendencies around the edges, plus they're workhorses and so won't (didn't
used to) die on you after a long day's work. Of course, for just a little
more dough you could buy some good old Marshalls and just blow everyone
immediately out the door. I guess it all depends on what you're actually
after. (Another time Scott and I ended up at this house in the country
after the bars where this motorcycle guy had a couple of tall Marshall
stage jobs set up for his listening pleasure. For a while it was our
pleasure, too.)

For myself, I'd probably prefer, in the long run my, Advents or something
of that ilk, but then you already know that. My taste runs to the simple.
But if I were entertaining and the martinis flowed, I'd loose Bose on 'em
if I owned those as well.

By the way, we have a pair of Bose outdoor speakers, those little black
speakers. I don't like them much. Anyone else know of something decent in
that regard? (That will _not_ fall apart in the rain.)

Tris