[OM] Re: Tamron 80-200 f 2.8

Subject: [OM] Re: Tamron 80-200 f 2.8
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 20:33:59 -0800

>These two portraits were taken with the 135/2.8, a SC lens.  I don't see any
>cardboard cutout here.

Skip, Perhaps I should explain what i mean. It seems to me that the
longer the lens the more foreshortening and the less the apparent
distance to the background. For example in the photo of the girl
watching the parade I do see that lack of depth characteristic of a
longer lens. Clearly the person behind her seems much closer than we
know him (?) to be. A 50mm lens would have tended to separate the girl
from the background. Now the 135 worked pretty well in this case where
you can isolate a subject from a distance. Obviously a 50 wouldn't have
gotten this photo because you would have been out in the street and run
over by the horses :>)  Actually a 135 is my lens of choice for a travel
lens for this very reason.  But for a formal portrait i think 85 is
about max.  Any more than that and the foreshortening in the depth of
the human body starts to become apparent.  Now I am not fanatical about
this and always say use what works. I do especially like the portrait of
mom and daughter.

mike