[OM] Re: Tamron 80-200 f 2.8

Subject: [OM] Re: Tamron 80-200 f 2.8
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 19:07:21 -0800
Have you looked at Gary's reviews of these 2 lenses? If the Tamron
weren't there, you'd be really impressed with the Tokina, and it is
indeed an excellent lens. The Tokina is a teensy bit smaller overall and
a whooping 23% lighter. Its tripod mount is a smaller and vastly
superior design to the Tamron's.

I'm sure the Tamron is ultimately the better lens, but not convinced
there is any practical difference in any situation other than with a
steady subject and sturdy tripod. There is actually some flex in the
Tamron tripod mount which was very noticeable using it on a monopod. I
thought at first it was not tightened enough, but I know others have
broken the mounts through overtightening, so I looked carefully and
found that the mount itself actually flexes. Note, don't buy one without
the tripod mount unless you want to try the Oly 300/4.5 mount conversion.

The Tokina is my favorite for ease of use, but I'm always afraid I'll
finally get that perfect, life defining shot and it won't be quite as
good as it could be. Fortunately, the chance of such a shot is slim and
I'll probably not have either one with me if it happens.

If you like the 135/2.8 fairly wide open for portraits,  I doubt you
will like either zoom, too sharp for flattering portraiture. The Tamron
with hood might scare subjects into submission, though.

Moose