[OM] Re: ( OM ) I wonder if they used Zuikos? Off-topic

Subject: [OM] Re: ( OM ) I wonder if they used Zuikos? Off-topic
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 10:31:01 -0800
I agree that the production of Tolkien's "Rings" trilogy represents good
film-making in its own right and it would certainly seem to be the case
that no one in Hollywood (if one might still call it that in any
traditional filmic sense) nowadays has much interest in projects of such
scope. With an industry mindset that could conceive of a feature-length
film version of "Starsky and Hutch" as viable goods there isn't much left
to be said to any audience seriously into film.

What I found most significant last night was the dearth of competition for
LOTR this year. It's been a long time since my last Awards night--must be
twenty years--only watched it this time because my wife wanted to,
otherwise I'd have finished the History Channel's Wake Island program.

Anyway, without toting up its notches for myself I'm told that LOTR ties
_Ben Hur_ and _Titanic_ for most awards. Could anyone tell how sad that is
and what the significance of that might be, could anyone tell me how a film
like the latter might possibly nominated in any category save for special
effects?

Hats off to the entire LOTR production crew and here's hoping they find the
energy, time and money to make _The Hobbit_ with the same production values
as well. (Wasn't _The Hobbit_ made previously an animated feature?)

As for congratulating Kiwis in general: isn't that farfetched? "Kiwis" had
little to do with this project, unless public funding came into
consideration. Talented film people made LOTR come to life on the big
screen. The spirit of nationalism is understandable and in its proper place
can be beneficial, but let's try to keep these things in their proper lights.

Tris
www.tristanjohn.com