[OM] Re: OM1n/ 2n/ spot

Subject: [OM] Re: OM1n/ 2n/ spot
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:20:14 +0100
Hi,

>The heading says it all, which is your fAvourite.

The OM-2n. After that, I like my *pre-MD* OM-1 and the third place is for
the 2SP -- weird creature in the OM universe, IMHO.

>The spot metering on the OM3/4{T|Ti| } doesn't come anywhere near how
>I like to use the 2s/p.

My first OM was a -4. Now that I know how to use the spot metering, I
replaced it with the -2S.

>I'd like to see an camera, build manual/mechanic like the OM1, with the
>spot-meter measuring like the 2s/p.

But there is! The OM-2000.

On the other hand, the Cont*x S2 is (was) also a fully-mechanical camera
with spot metering *only*. I was considering one of these beasts a couple
of years before I got the OM-4. Has 1/250 sync flash, too.

>Just an on-off switch and a simple
>needle in the viewfinder, following the central spot.

I never had an S2 on my hands, but if it's like its poor sister (Y*shica
FX-3 super), it should have no on/off switch (just pressing half-way the
shutter release) and use a rather convenient +/o/- LED exposure indication
-- from my experience with the FX-3, this may not be as accurate as the
match-needle of the OM-1, but surprisingly *fast*.

>Ohh, and it must be
>chrome,

Unlike most (all?) Cont*x bodies, the S2 was only chrome. It was replaced
by the S2b (centre-weighted metering *only*), which had a charcoal finish,
much like the OM-3Ti -- I believe it came from a similar process. The S2b
was *more* expensive than the S2.

>with red Sparks-snakeskin ;)

I've got an FX-3 which sooner or later will get that red Spark's snakeskin ;-)

Peace,

Carlos J. Santisteban

<cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<http://cjss.galeon.com>