[OM] Re: Camera Quandary - OM vs. N*kon vs L*ica

Subject: [OM] Re: Camera Quandary - OM vs. N*kon vs L*ica
From: "Earl Dunbar" <edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 23:28:04 -0500
Rob:

I don't see much sense in having SLRs from two different manufacturers unless
there is a compelling reason; JMHO.

I owned Leica (M3 with 50, 21 and 90) for awhile, along with my OMs, medium
format (Rollei SL66) and 4x5.  There was a specific purpose for each as I was a
working pro at the time.  I admit that getting the Leica, even though bought
used, was a bit of a prestige thing for me at the time.  However, the ability
to better anticipate the "grab" shots with a rangefinder, especially with
wide-angle, was enormously helpful.  As far as portraits went, I used the 50
quite a bit for casual portraitsas well as the 90.  The 90 was a joy, having a
special Leica magic.  But when it came time to downsize for economic reasons (I
was no longer working as a professional and needed the money for other
purposes), it was not a real hard decision to sell the Leica and Rollei gear.
It would have been MUCH harder to sell the Leica stuff though, if I had not
acquired the Zuiko 21mm f2.  When I saw how that lens performed vs. the 21mm
f3.5 Super Angulon, I was very surprised and pleased.  No, I didn'
 t do formal testing and I'll bet someone could point to some characteristic of
the Leica 21 that is superior.  But in real-world use, the Zuiko rocked/rocks.

I am now back into rangefinders (XA, Olympus Auto, Oly 35sp, Minolta HiMatic 7s
and a Konica C35) because of their special handling qualities and the "stealth"
aspect.  If I could afford Leica would I re-acquire it?  Probably.  Would I use
it a lot?  Maybe.  But honestly, I think the OMs are so beautiful and useful,
that I would be better off spending the dough on more Zuikos, a kick-butt
scanner and printer, and film/processing.  Or, take the trip with my OMs, SP
and C35.  Oh, and a few cases of Hillebrand 2002 cab sauvignon.  It's going to
be marvey.

Earl

On 2/24/2004 at 7:16 PM Rob Harrison wrote:

>I find myself in a bit of a quandary. Please be gentle. I feel like a
>wanker to even be asking these questions to this august forum, but here
>goes. Skip has already heard some of this.

<snip>