[OM] Re: camera recommendations please

Subject: [OM] Re: camera recommendations please
From: carlos martinez <pottyman@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:39:05 -0700

ClassicVW@xxxxxxx wrote:

> A couple of thoughts come to mind here, and please don't feel insulted if I
> mention something too basic that you already know...

Thanks and no chance of me being insulted.

> Either way, you WILL need to spend some serious money. Wedding photography is
> not for the beginner, nor for someone to do "on the cheap" with regard to
> equipment. You need backup equipment for everything- camera, flash, film,
> batteries. These are people's lifetime memories you're being entrusted with,
> not some
> informal group shot at work that can be duplicated the following week if your
> equipment fails, you accidentally open the camera back, or the lab screws up
> the film.

Understood, been there, done that.

> You do need a more reliable "main" camera body, an OM-4T is best, IMO, if
> you're going to buy something, and the multi-spot metering will be a blessing
> later on when you master it. (It's not difficult). But you can learn to do
> wonderful things with any OM body, but the OM-10 would be my last choice for
> reliability under these "professional" conditions.

That was the intention, to purchase another main unit and use the OM 10 as the
back up.
About how much should I expect to pay for an OM 4t and a decent flash?
Also will the OM 4t accept the winder 2?

> You need a more powerful flash, a bracket to get the flash off the camera
> body and some way to tilt and bounce the flash, either with the flash head
> itself, or a Bounce Grip 2 or such.  You also may need a second body with
> faster
> film in case the church doesn't allow flash shots at the altar. You, as the
> photographer, must find these things out well ahead of the date.

Would TTL adapter cord be sufficient (hand held off camera flash)
or do you still recommend a bracket?
I will also (sometimes) have access to a 600 watt, three light strobe kit,
is this something I should consider for the portrait type  shots or is a good
flash good enough?

> You also need a professional lab that you can trust.

Already done.

> My advice would be to do a wedding for free as not the main still
> photographer, and follow the photog, if he allows you to, all day to get a
> feel for the
> workflow. It's not easy, believe me, if you aren't used to the speed and the
> pressure.

I have already done three weddings as well as several graduations and countless
other
events, I have 19 years experience shooting just not to this degree or this
much money
most of my other events have been for family, friends, or church functions.

> Think this through carefully before you accept this job offer.

Too late, I've already agreed to do two events, with my work as yet unseen by
the
video guy.( so he already has some trust in my capabilities.)