[OM] Re: camera recommendations please

Subject: [OM] Re: camera recommendations please
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 07:39:49 EST
A couple of thoughts come to mind here, and please don't feel insulted if I
mention something too basic that you already know...

Either way, you WILL need to spend some serious money. Wedding photography is
not for the beginner, nor for someone to do "on the cheap" with regard to
equipment. You need backup equipment for everything- camera, flash, film,
batteries. These are people's lifetime memories you're being entrusted with,
not some
informal group shot at work that can be duplicated the following week if your
equipment fails, you accidentally open the camera back, or the lab screws up
the film.

You do need a more reliable "main" camera body, an OM-4T is best, IMO, if
you're going to buy something, and the multi-spot metering will be a blessing
later on when you master it. (It's not difficult). But you can learn to do
wonderful things with any OM body, but the OM-10 would be my last choice for
reliability under these "professional" conditions.

You need a more powerful flash, a bracket to get the flash off the camera
body and some way to tilt and bounce the flash, either with the flash head
itself, or a Bounce Grip 2 or such.  You also may need a second body with
faster
film in case the church doesn't allow flash shots at the altar. You, as the
photographer, must find these things out well ahead of the date.

You also need a professional lab that you can trust.

My advice would be to do a wedding for free as not the main still
photographer, and follow the photog, if he allows you to, all day to get a feel
for the
workflow. It's not easy, believe me, if you aren't used to the speed and the
pressure.

Think this through carefully before you accept this job offer.

George S.