[OM] Re: Film media article

Subject: [OM] Re: Film media article
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:37:43 +0000
It is increasingly common usage, but it is still incorrect to use due
to to describe a verb clause.  A good example is:

... the lateness of the train was due to the leaves on the line ...
(OK, it's describes the noun 'lateness')

... the train was late due to leaves on the line (wrong, since it is
describing the verb clause containing 'was").

But Tris' phrase was right (I was wrong) in that the 'due to' referred
to a noun clause *before* it, not after it.

I didn't study English (except at A level), but I enjoy languages in
general and I am sorry that English, in common with other European
languages has been diluted by degradation of the curriculum - I am not
denigrating teachers though, OK John ;-).

I'll stop now, I promise... ;-)

On the Miranda software, I wish I had PS to use them.

Chris

On 16 Feb 2004 , at 9:38, Piers Hemy wrote:

> I believe that I speak the same English as does Chris, far away as he
> is (40
> km would you say Chris?).  But I agree with you and your wife, Tris,
> that
> "due to" is acceptable usage, not even an Americanism.  It does also
> satisfy
> Chris' criterion (of which I confess I was unaware, but that is
> because I
> never studied English, I just sort of picked it up as I went along),
> since
> the clause that follows it *is* a noun clause.  To be more specific,
> "varied" is not a verb, but an adjectival participle.
>
> BUT I am unsure about the last word in the quoted passage below!  Do
> you
> mean "stet"?  ;-)
>
> Nice to see Trafalgar Square as your "test pic".
>
> Piers
>
> PS Haven't yet had a look at the FM actions I got hold of, but hats
> off the
> Tris for the pointer to the discount!
<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker