[OM] Re: Vibration study

Subject: [OM] Re: Vibration study
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 08:44:18 -0800
Excuse my tardy response. I tried to submit this some time ago but didn't
know then the list was on a different server. I didn't get back on the list
until earlier this week and for all I know this business has been resolved.

Anyway, re the vibration study:

Two ideas that occur to me: mirror lock-up ought to be incorporated in
there somehow for what seems to me obvious reasons (correct my thinking if
I'm off base) and I would also like to see the use of the recommended (by
Olympus experts in their manuals over the years) of "hand-cradling" of the
camera body. (I've fallen into the "don't do anything so silly!" school of
thought with the latter technique in mind and I'd love to finally see
objective test results.)

Shouldn't these test exposures _always_ be made at precisely the same light
levels?

How about different tripods?

It's assumed here the test will be conducted in a closed, windless
environment versus outside. But how do the various camera platforms perform
_in the field_ compared to one another? Isn't that important?

I haven't used this Ilford film emulsion you mention. Come to think of it I
can't recall you talking about it. What's the story? Just off the top of my
head, and while I understand your C41 concern and the convenience it
offers, but I'd have probably gone with a slower (and higher-resolution)
emulsion like Tech Pan for a test of this nature. (Even a color print film
like Portra 160 might well do for the needs, plus it, too, offers the
convenient processing of C41. For 400 B&W film for sure I'd have used (what
used to be) the industry's reference B&W emulsion, Tri-X. And does anyone
other than me notice how old and basically in the way we're (I'm) getting
to be? <g>)

By the way, my seeming bias against Ilford product dates back to my first
trial of it when I shot for newspapers (half-tones on newsprint are hardly
definitive tests but really, the difference between HP5 and Tri-X was
noticeable even there). Admittedly, I haven't tried the company's line a
whole lot since and for all I know this new 400 B&W product is a very good
performer. For this test, however, the only useful quality it could bring
to the test would be C41 compatibility and I wholly question the wisdom of
that.

Tris