[OM] Re: olympus Digest V1 #22

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus Digest V1 #22
From: Humbert Humbert <0humbert0humbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 09:45:50 -0600
Hi -- I'm almost certain this is a crook. He's probably breaking eBay rules to
start with and Western Union is a dead giveaway -- funds are totally
nonrecoverable that way. And of course none of the eBay 'protections' apply
(not that they helped when much I got scammed myself).

Best rule: try to always use PayPal and a real credit card, after looking at
what the person sells and analyzing the feedback (the problem on eBay is that
it seldom gives actual details of the transaction and high rates of positives
can conceal bargaining about feedback, sometimes based on threats of negative
feedback). Beware, as well, of non-photographers who will make a lot more
mistakes in their descriptions -- and try and scent out the pawn shops and
occasional thieves and fences...

Phil