[OM] Re: Vibration study

Subject: [OM] Re: Vibration study
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 16:38:27 -0800
tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Two ideas that occur to me: mirror lock-up ought to be incorporated in
>there somehow for what seems to me obvious reasons (correct my thinking if
>I'm off base)

Gary proved pretty conclusively in his tests that mirror lock-up alone
is not nearly as effective as mirror and aperture pre-fire. Problem is
that there are so many circumstances where waiting for the self timer is
impractical. I noticed 1 of the new DSLRs has both 2 and 12 second timers.

> and I would also like to see the use of the recommended (by
>Olympus experts in their manuals over the years) of "hand-cradling" of the
>camera body. (I've fallen into the "don't do anything so silly!" school of
>thought with the latter technique in mind and I'd love to finally see
>objective test results.)

I use it quite regularly, esp. with lighter tripods. I think Walt's idea
of a 5 lb. bag of small lead shot drapped over camera and lens is
probably really effective, but I can't imagine carrying around an extra
bag of lead when out in the field.

Moose