[OM] Re: Tokina AT-X 35-200mm f3.5-4.5

Subject: [OM] Re: Tokina AT-X 35-200mm f3.5-4.5
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 14:24:20 -0800
rdk@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Thanks for the comprehensive reply Moose. The seller told me that it looked
>as though closest 35mm focus was 4" = 10cm;

That could be a fairly good guess from memory of the 6" I measured. I
originally guessed 4-5", before taking off the hood and
actuallymeasuring from the front of the lens itself.

>I guess that that could be the close focus, but maybe he meant 4 ft..
>I have also tried/own all of the other lenses that you have tried ( only
>missing the Kiron, but also own the Tokina RMC 35-200, Tamron SP 28-135 and
>the Zuiko 50-250).

I had a Tokina RMC 35-135, but sold it in favor of the Kiron. No real
evidence that the Kiron was better. I think I was just in Kiron love
over the results from the then recently acquired Kiron 105/2.8 and
somebody wanted a 35-105. I went for the Tokina 50-250 over the Zuiko
partly over cost, but mostly over close-focus ability.

>I think that I need to thin out a bit in my zoom lens collection!

Well, if that's so, I guess I need to also. I didn't mention all the
other zooms I have that don't fit that sort of 3x or more mid-range
category, although I guess the Tokina RMC 28-85/4 fits and didn't get
mentioned.  I guess if it does't go to 100mm, it's not long enough to be
general purpose for me, although I make an exception for the
35-70/3.5-4.5 for its diminutive size and friendly nature on an OMPC for
casual "maybe I'll take pics and maybe not" kind of days.

Moose