[OM] Re: Tokina AT-X 35-200mm f3.5-4.5

Subject: [OM] Re: Tokina AT-X 35-200mm f3.5-4.5
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 08:57:47 +0100

Thanks for the comprehensive reply Moose. The seller told me that it looked
as though closest 35mm focus was 4" = 10cm; I guess that that could be the
close focus, but maybe he meant 4 ft..
I have also tried/own all of the other lenses that you have tried ( only
missing the Kiron, but also own the Tokina RMC 35-200, Tamron SP 28-135 and
the Zuiko 50-250). The sellers price seems reasonable, so perhaps I will
try it.
I think that I need to thin out a bit in my zoom lens collection!

Regards/Mvh.,
Roger Key

Moose wrote

Indeed I do. I like the lens very much. I took it, a 19-35/3.5-4.5 and a
Zuiko 21/3.5 on a 2 week trip to Maine a couple of years ago and very
seldom wished for anything else. I could have used something faster a
couple of times and something longer a couple of times, but was quite
satisfied overall. I haven't used it lately 'cause I've been on a doomed
search for the perfect all purpose lens and have been trying out Zuiko
35-105, Kiron 35-135, Tamron asp 28-200, Tokina AT-X 50-250, Tamron SP
60-300 and some fast f2/8 zooms, but it is still in the running. It is,
by the way, significantly smaller and lighter than the Tamron SP
35-210/3.5-4.2.

There are clearly 2 versions of this lens, although the difference may
or may not be more than cosmetic. I only know because I there are 2
different lens hoods, AT-X 352 and AT-X 352N. The first is a clamp-on
with thumb screw that fits my lens. The second is the unique-to-Tokina
type that clips on a shallow dado just behind the front of the lens.
That one doesn't fit my version of the lens. Through a transaction too
complex to remember, I have 2 of the 'N' hoods and would be happy to
sell them quite reasonably to you or anybody else who needs one.

Closest regular focus is 1.6m/5.25ft at all focal lengths, so 200mm
gives the most magnification. It also has a separate close-focus
function where you push a button and turn a ring. It looks slightly
different and the ring turns the opposite way, but it works like the
35-105 Zuiko, acting as a built-in extension tube. In this mode, the
extension obviously has much more multiplication factor at 35mm than
200, so greatest magnification is at 35mm, where repro ratio goes to 1:4
with the front of the lens about 6in from the subject.

If you want higher magnification, the AT-X 50-250/4-5.6 goes to 1:1.4
and is about the same size and weight as the 35-200, but slower. The
Tamron SP 60-300/3.8-5.4 also goes very close at 1:1.55, but is bigger
and heavier. None of the zooms that go down to 35mm seem to have repro
ratios beyond 1:4. At that, they are all much better than the fast
zooms. The otherwise wonderful Tamron asp 35-105/2.8 close focus is 1m
for 1:7.3.

Moose