[OM] [OT] how do I trash this folder

Subject: [OM] [OT] how do I trash this folder
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 21:45:44 -0500
At 3:41 AM +0100 1/15/04, Listar wrote:
>Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 00:30:33 -0300
>Subject: [OM] [OT] how do I trash this folder
>From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>Hi list,
>
>I'm running 8.6 on my old 603ev @ 6500MHz Powermac.

I'm running MacOS 9.1 on PowerPC, but that's probably close enough.

>Had installed some software which came bundled with the iMac named Kai's
>Photo Soap SE.
>Since I found it useless I trashed it today, but to my surprise its folder
>cannot be deleted. It contains two other folders named 'metaos' and 'cache',
>zero k of disk space but still there.
>They are not locked items so it's no use Option + Empty Trash.
>Neither Restart + Empty Trash nor Rebuilding the Desktop File + Empty Trash
>after taking those folders to the desktop, solved the problem.

First, I would run Norton DiskDoctor to ensure that the problem isn't due to a
damaged filesystem.  It sounds like this may be the cause.  (The problem may
have nothing to do with Kai.)

Once the filesystem is made or declared to be healthy, try the normal forde
delete options you already tried.

If that fails, use one of the disk utilities like DiskTop to delete the files.
Norton DiskDoctor may also have such a utility.  Many of these have delete
commands that don't often take no for an answer.

If these utilities fail, your options are to live with the problem, or to
regenerate the filesystem.  First, do a full backup of the disk in question
(all volumes).  I would do this twice, so there are two backups available in
case one for some reason cannot be read.  Second, format the disk.  This will
scrub the disk clean, right down to the metal.  Third, initialize the disk and
restore the files from backup.  This will create a pristine filesystem, with no
embedded damage.

In the 1970s, I would do this periodically, to prevent problems from
developing.  Present-day filesystems are far more stable, so I only do such
things if necessary.  The last time I had to do it was when an disk obsolete
driver was slowly corrupting the filesystem, which I would restore once a week.
 It took me six months to figure out the root cause of the problem, and replace
the driver.

NB.  In Macs, a full restore as described above results in a perfect, working,
bootable disk.  The only disadvantage is that the folder view selections are
lost, so one has to manually re-set the view options.  In PCs, the above
process doesn't really work unless one does an image backup, which will not
regenerate the filesystems, and so the offending files will not be fixed.

Joe Gwinn