[OM] Re: OT G3 iBooks, was something else...

Subject: [OM] Re: OT G3 iBooks, was something else...
From: Michael Darling <miked2002@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 23:14:05 -0500
12" iBook 700MHz G3, dvd, etc...
purchased 6/2001.
on it's third logic board (thanks apple),
second LCD screen (thanks again apple),
second battery (free from applecare),
second AC adapter (first one shorted out and smoked, got free
replacement)
and the damn dvd drive still doesn't eject.

LCD was working fine, until the last logic board replacement. Seems
they were a little rough unplugging the airport card... Must have
stressed the MCX connector the wrong way leaving me without a wifi
antenna. Of course apple does not supply the antenna as a replacement
part (it's built into the display.) So after waiting 2 weeks to get the
logic board installed I have to wait another 3 weeks for a brand new
(well, more like serviceable used) LCD display.

The DVD bezel has never sat flush with the side of the computer case.
It binds and clicks repeatedly when I try to eject it. Apple tried to
'adjust' it and it still didn't work. Apparently it's deemed a
'cosmetic problem' and not eligible for replacement. This was a problem
with the computer OUT OF THE BOX.

I do have only good things to say about their service plan, and it was
well worth the reduced price i got mine for on ebay. Everything has
been taken care of by my local service center and apple's picked up the
bill.

Sorry for the OT rant, but if its any consolation I use this machine
for processing my OM/Leica negative scans, d30 + zuiko/tamron images
and my full time EE coursework. When it doesn't work, I get pissed,
quickly. Luckily it works more often than not, is exceptionally well
suited for all my work and the way I like to get it done.

mike