Re: [OM] Re: "Real World Tests"

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: "Real World Tests"
From: Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 19:26:17 -0800
In a message dated 12/31/2003 "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx> writes:

<< I was flipping through the channels last night and happened upon a program
about accidents involving race photographers. Some brutal stuff. One guy was
standing in the middle of the road photographing something on the side
during an evening rain storm. A driver, peripherally blinded by the water
and bad light, didn't see the photographer and hit him. That victim was
being extremely stupid. Several others were hit by cars losing control and
flying way off course. Most of these were road race and rally type events
where there is little crowd control. I'm sure it's tempting to want to be
where one should not be. It's certainly not a place to be careless. Have you
or Mike had any close calls? >>

I saw that show too. While it was a bit sobering and scary, I also noticed that
most (if not all) of the incidents were in South America at venues which
apparently had pretty loose security. At all professional US (and likely
elsewhere) events photographer's meetings are held and all track rules (mostly
regarding safety) are discussed. The added benefit of these meetings  is the
chance to get some local tidbits of track-specific advice from the track
photographer(s). I have found safety staff at rented tracks for car club
driver's schools to be even more restrictive than the major events (even at the
same track)

Close calls... There have been a few frightening incidents in front of me, but
in all cases there was the (false?) security of K-Wall and catch fencing
between me and the course. I have seen cars go over the catch fences, move the
K-Walls, but never go through the wall itself. Flying debris is probably our
biggest worry covering major events. I would guess more injuries happen to NFL
sideline photographers than those of us shooting races.

Happy New Year All!!!!!

Mike Veglia