Re: [OT] Battery comments WAS: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #4495 and othe

Subject: Re: [OT] Battery comments WAS: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #4495 and others...
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 22:39:16 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: <ClassicVW@xxxxxxx>

>     Yes they are. I was only stating that the "smaller" argument is not
> really valid because the camera was actually made larger with the
proprietary pack.
> And with the advances in battery technology and camera power technology,
the
> gap is narrowing for that argument as well. I remain very skeptical of the
> manufacturer's true motive.

It is only true for Olympus C5060 and it really amaze me when I have seen it
compared with my C5050, my N*kon E5000 with same feature is much smaller
with the small battery.

>     Don't forget also, that battery replacement in the field is only
easier
> IF you had bought another battery, AND you remembered to keep it fully
charged.
> You may say the same is true for AAs, but not so. I also keep a set or two
of
> AA alkalines in the bag just in case I wind up shooting more or longer
than I
> planned, or the kids stole my fully charged extra set of rechargeables and
> didn't let me know, or I returned to the hotel room last night and forgot
to put
> them in the charger. You can't have that extra peace of mind with some
> proprietary pack.

Yes I always take a spare battery even for the OMs although in most case I
don't need it. You can't escape if you use DV, whenever I take it to a
travel trip I have to charge the batteries at night, you can't found a DV
that uses AAs. If you really worry about forget to charge the batteries,
take a third one with full charge and keep in the bag, use it only when you
forgot to charge the two you use daily.

C.H.Ling