Re: [OM] Re: Olympus c5050 or c5060???

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Olympus c5050 or c5060???
From: Frank van Lindert <Frank.van@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 18:14:14 +0100
This is what I wrote a month ago answering a similar question:

Only last week I had to make my choice between the C-5050Z and the
C-5060WZ, and after a thorough comparison I favoured the older 5050
model.
Main issue is that you will loose a lot of of light buying the 5060,
which I think is not justified by the wide-angle view being extended
from 35mm to 27mm. (I use a B-28 0.8x adapter for that, in the rare
cases I need it)

The difference in light (or speed) is 1.3 f-stops at the wide end, and
even 1,8 (!!) f-stops at tele end of the zoom range.
I do a lot of macro photography, often in low light conditions, and I
try to avoid using the flash. You will understand that this was the
dominant reason to buy the C-5050.
Where the C-5050 lets you take a tele-macro picture at 1/50s, the
C-6060 would ask you to increase the shutter time to 1/15s!

Apart from that rumours have it that a comparison of the pictures made
with these cameras (or rather lenses, making the only important
difference there) shows some better quality from the 5050. I cannot
confirm this, since I have not done this myself.

Also I was not happy with the proprietary thread - or rather bayonet -
which Olympus has started to use on the new adapter tube needed for
the C-5060.
My auxiliary lenses, in particular my appraised B-300 (or TCON-17)
would have been made impossible to use with my new camera, that is
until - perhaps - third party bayonet-to-thread adapters have been
produced.

Olympus seem to take the same way of allowing only for their own
proprietary accessories by using a new kind of LiIon battery, instead
of the AA-cells used in the 5050.
I must admit that I like LiIon very much, but I can easily use my own
7.2 V / 6400 mAh (or bigger) LiIon packs when plugged into the
connector for the net adapter. With the C-5050 I will rarely need
them, as it is a rather economic camera which runs very long from a
set of 4 NiMH cells. (But my LiIons do a lot of useful work with my
energy eating E-20!)

One last thing: if you would buy the C-5060 after all, do insist on
getting the older RM-1 remote control instead of the new RM-2 which
lacks quite a few of the functions of its predecessor!

go here for another comparison:
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/c5050/c5060-compar.html
The author owns both of the cameras, which I do not ;-)

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL.