[OM] Re: Olympus c5050 or c5060???

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus c5050 or c5060???
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 08:53:50 -0800
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 10:32:19 -0800
From: "james olson" <james_olson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [OM] Olympus c5050 or c5060???

Hi, I am looking at purchasing one of these cameras, but I'm not sure which.
I know the particulars about them, such as the different lenses and the
battery issue, but I'm looking for people with experience with one or
both....

Besides for the wider lens, is the 5060 a better camera?  I'd appreciate any
comments, maybe off list, so that the OM list can continue to be film based,
if possible.

Thanks, James.

They're different cameras. They're both good cameras and take great photos.
Depends on what you want. If you want to be able to use AA batteries, get a 5050. If you prefer the better performance of a proprietary battery, get a 5060. Or if you want the wider angle lens. The 5050 has been criticized for noise issues, which it does have under certain settings, just as the E-1 does. Too many pixels in too small a chip. It is no different in this respect than the Canon Powershot S50. I haven't seen the 5060 criticized for noise issues, but I have read less stuff on it to date than I did when the 5050 came out. The C5050 still had notable shutter lag when I played with one briefly. From what I have read and from what I saw an Oly rep demonstrate, the shutter lag on the 5060 is noticeably reduced.

If it were me, the faster shutter release, proprietary battery and wider angle lens on the 5060 make it much more attractive to me than the 5050.

-Stephen.
--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!