Re: [OM] Batteries for Digital and System Cost Comparison

Subject: Re: [OM] Batteries for Digital and System Cost Comparison
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 07:45:58 -0800 (PST)
Tom Scales responded:
>I don't buy this premise.  The D100 is rock solid. What about
>is it that makes you believe that it would not work in a pro
>environment?

Primary reasoning involves the polycarbonate body, seals, speed
of operation (shutter delay, write times, firewire) and basic
functionality like built-in x-sync terminals.

What about thermal extremes?  Will the D100 work as well as the
D1X (or whatever pro-level body) in subzero temperatures
(wildlife photography)?  How about moisture resistance and
high-humidity environments?  Is the autofocus as fast?  How is
the magnification of the viewfinder?

Most important is "idiot-proofing" the camera in high-stress
situations (weddings?).  The D1X has better human engineering
when it comes to this.  The N80 based digicams can let get you
caught in a menu or setting (ISO) and prevent you from shooting.
 Even the controls are larger.

That said, there are several features of the D100/S2 which are
rather "pro-level".  Cable release.  Image quality and
processing.  Gridlines are a way-cool feature--one of which I
wouldn't hesitate to use for landscape work.

Then there are the intangibles:  If I'm charging two-months rent
to even show up to a wedding, it doesn't look good if Uncle
Louis shows up with the same gear.  The "it's the photographer,
not the equipment" argument is one area that you'd rather not
have to defend yourself in.  There are reasons why wedding
photographers have used Hassleblads for decades.  Are they
really better?  Not particularily, but the "impression" that
they are lets you command a slight bit more respect (and money).

But what about the E-1 system?  How would that play in?  Easy,
The E-1 system produces images that match to 8x10 format so
well.  No cropping or wasted pixels.  If you consider the
vertical dimension to be the apples to apples comparision as it
is the dimension least likely to be cropped, the image size of
the E-1 is favorably compared to any APS sized sensor.  (The S2
has a wierd interpolation method that can produce 12m images,
but that's another story).  The E-1's new lenses really are
pretty good.  But the fly-by-wire focusing scares me a little as
does the oversized handgrip.

Unless Olympus releases the MA-1, I'm destined for F-mount.
I'll probably start with the S2 with F100/F5 as my film backup.
Then I'll pick up a concrete block (D1X or whatever) on the used
market.

You know, I just realized that one of my camera bags could carry
one D1X with a single mounted lens.  I've got two OM bodies and
five lenses in it.  What's wrong with this picture?

AG