[OM] Batteries for Digital and System Cost Comparison

Subject: [OM] Batteries for Digital and System Cost Comparison
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:21:17 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
Cc: scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
I know there's been some discussion on what digital cameras people think of
buying with respect to the batteries they use. One of the things I liked about
my C-4040Z was that it took any manner of AA format batteries. I guess there's
been some comments about how the new C-5060Z doesn't do this anymore, as the
C-4040 and C-5050 did. All I can say is that in my experience, these new
proprietary batteries (e.g. the BP-511 in C*n*n D30, D60, 10D and 300D) and the
BLM-1 in the C-5060 and E-1 are GREAT! They last way longer than the
aftermarket batteries that are in the AA form factor, and recharge faster as
well. Having used both types, I have to say now that I prefer the mfrs.
proprietary Li-Ion batteries to these aftermarket AA types. However, I do thing
Oly made a mistake in requiring yet a different battery for the battery grip
for the E-1 than the battery that is used without it. This may have been
necessitated by the additional power a CCD requires, but the way C*n*n did
their battery grip (two BP-511s) works out better to my mind.

On another note, I've been also thinking about the cost of entering the E
system would be. The Oly's up front cost is a factor, to my mind. The fact that
the battery grip for the E-1 costs $500 is a big drawback, as is the $400
flash. These really add to the price of getting in the E System, especially as
the E-1 has no flash. A price comparison of the two systems would be of
interest.

Let's see a price breakdown from B&H:
Oly
E-1                             $1799
SHLD-2 Battery set        $500
FL-50 Flash                   $400
Total                          $2699

C*n*n
10D                            $1499
BG-ED3 Battery Grip    $  170
550EX Flash                 $  350
Total                           $ 2019

Difference in price: $680...just about enough to buy a 17-40/4 lens...

-Stephen.