Re: [OM] Batteries for Digital and System Cost Comparison

Subject: Re: [OM] Batteries for Digital and System Cost Comparison
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 17:16:57 -0500
I've heard of people getting the E-1 for as low as $1350 with Amex pricematch.

After Christmas, I expect the prices to drop at least $100, esp as we near PMA.

I didn't really like the grip, esp at the price.  I'd just get an extra battery.

The flash, like all of them, is a rip-off.  Consider a little FL-20 as a cheap
alternative.

Skip

>Subject: [OM] Batteries for Digital and System Cost Comparison
>   From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>   Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:21:17 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
>     To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>     Cc: scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>I know there's been some discussion on what digital cameras people think of
>buying with respect to the batteries they use. One of the things I liked about
>my C-4040Z was that it took any manner of AA format batteries. I guess there's
>been some comments about how the new C-5060Z doesn't do this anymore, as the
>C-4040 and C-5050 did. All I can say is that in my experience, these new
>proprietary batteries (e.g. the BP-511 in C*n*n D30, D60, 10D and 300D) and
>the BLM-1 in the C-5060 and E-1 are GREAT! They last way longer than the
>aftermarket batteries that are in the AA form factor, and recharge faster as
>well. Having used both types, I have to say now that I prefer the mfrs.
>proprietary Li-Ion batteries to these aftermarket AA types. However, I do
>thing Oly made a mistake in requiring yet a different battery for the battery
>grip for the E-1 than the battery that is used without it. This may have been
>necessitated by the additional power a CCD requires, but the way C*n*n did the!
ir battery grip (two BP-511s) works out better to my mind.