Re: [OM] Batteries for Digital and System Cost Comparison

Subject: Re: [OM] Batteries for Digital and System Cost Comparison
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 07:58:37 -0800 (PST)
>All I can say is that in my experience, these new proprietary
>batteries (e.g. the BP-511 in C*n*n D30, D60, 10D and
>300D) and the BLM-1 in the C-5060 and E-1 are GREAT! They last
>way longer than the aftermarket batteries that are in the AA
>form factor, and recharge faster as well.

As I plan for my conversion to digital, this is a major factor.
In looking at the N*k*n offering, I can buy as many battery
packs as I want for under $29 USD each.  There are a multitude
of charger options available to me too.  The F*j* S2 takes AA
rechargables for the nuts-and-bolts operation of the camera and
they ride in a removable tray, not unlike that found in the
Olympus winders.  Advantage there is that you can always find AA
batteries somewhere around.

But when you add up battery costs and run times, those $29
custom batteries are actually cheaper.  A handful of them will
keep me in power for ages.

>I do thing Oly made a mistake in requiring yet a different
>battery for the  battery grip for the E-1 than the battery
>that is used without it.

One wonders why these manufactureres don't standardize on a
common battery within their own line.  N*k*n has different
batteries for their flashes than the bodies.  I would have
appreciated having a common battery format for all devices from
a given manufacturer.

>On another note, I've been also thinking about the cost of
>entering the E system would be. The Oly's up front cost is a
>factor, to my mind. The fact that the battery grip for the E-1
>costs $500 is a big drawback, as is the $400 flash. These
>really add to the price of getting in the E System,

Buying a *new* system from any of the manufacturers is pricey.
That's why I'm looking seriously at the big "N" as the stuff is
available used for a slightly more reasonable price.  What's
funny is that the D100 plus grip is as expensive as the D1X.
Sorry, no contest.  But look at the E-1 vs a pre-owned D1X:

>Let's see a price breakdown from B&H:
>Oly E-1                  $1799
>SHLD-2 Battery set        $500
>FL-50 Flash               $400
>Total                    $2699
(aftermarket and legacy glass:  None)

N*k*n D1X                 $2200 (used)
SB-800                     $380 (new)
Total                     $2580
(aftermarket and legacy glass:  Tons and tons)

But that new 11-22mm lens from Olympus is rather intruiging.
However, big-honkin Tokina AT-X glass in F-mount would satisfy
my need for reach.  Without a legacy mount, the Olympus will
always be at a lens availability disadvantage.

For professional use, I'm less inclined to go for a D100, S2,
P*ntax, S*gma, etc., as the body isn't designed for no-excuses
photography.  The Olympus E-1 actually is.  The weatherproofing
and metal shell are huge sell-points that make the system much
more competitive with the pro-level offerings from N*kon and
C*non.  I will admit, the E-1 is growing on me.  But will the
siren song of the big "N" finally grasp me in her reach and drag
me under?

AG-Schnozz