Re: [OM] 35-70/4 zuiko vs 3.5-4.5 owners.. comments?

Subject: Re: [OM] 35-70/4 zuiko vs 3.5-4.5 owners.. comments?
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 17:35:10 -0800
It shouldn't be hard to get a yabe f4 (in claimed E condition) for $75. They
are often sold with a camera for the cost of the camera alone. The ones I've
seen first hand have indeed looked E and have an excellent feel. The hood is
a widely flaring rubber one that can be a pain to carry.

The f3.5/4.5 is harder to predict. One went recently quite cheap - it's
plastic right? You could probably get a yaBe one (in claimed E condition)
for about $100 and if quite patient perhaps $80. I saw one first hand
unfortunately, that had a cracked focusing barrel. Although plastic, the
tiny size gives it a nice character. If IRRC the hood is the same as the
rubber one for the 50/1.8, 50/1.4, 35/2.8.

Not all BGN grade are equal. Additionally the f3.5-4.5 generally sell higher
but have greater price volatility. So I wouldn't put too much weight on
differences in KEH BGN prices for the two.

The f3.6 was my main lens for many years. I've been very happy with it. With
a LOT of patience you could probably get one with a price as low as $125.
The hood can be reversed over the lens protecting much of the body. Seems
like many/most users loose the hood though. I find that since it is so easy
to carry the hood with the lens, I use the hood all the time.

-jeff